Last Updated: April 30, 2015
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
The Company collects and receives the following types of information when you use the Website, establish an account or otherwise contact us:
Information You Provide Directly. You may choose to provide information directly to the Company through any of the following means:
- Becoming a registered user. In order to become a registered user of the Website, you need to share personal information such as your name, phone number, mailing address and e-mail address. You may also be asked to provide certain information regarding your pets or the pets for whom you make purchases on our Website. You do not have to be a registered user to visit the Website; you may browse through our Website anonymously. You will, however, need to register in order to place orders and make full use of the Website. If you choose to check out as a guest on the Website, we will collect limited personal information from you in order to fulfill your order.
- Placing an order. When you place an order on our Website or otherwise, you need to supply an email and billing address, phone number, shipping address, credit card information among other information. By making a purchase on our Website, you can become a registered user of the Website. You can choose to store certain information in the My Account section of the site needed to make a purchase, such as your shipping and billing addresses. If you change your mind about storing this information, you can amend or delete such information by going to the relevant area of the My Account section of your account and following the instructions to edit or delete the relevant information. You can access this section using your registration email account and password. Certain information, however, is required to be provided if you have an account with us. You may send us an email and request that we delete your user account. We may, however, need to retain certain personal information relating to you and your previous orders for our business, tax and accounting records even if you delete your user account. By using the Website you consent to such retention of certain personal and order information for our business purposes.
- Contacting us. When you send the Company information or a message from your account when you are logged in, or via email, or when you sign up to receive the Company’s newsletter, the Company asks you to provide your name and email address. When you contact us over the phone or email, you may provide us with your name, telephone number and email address. Further, we may ask you to provide information regarding the name, age, breed and size of your pets so that we can make product recommendations.
- Reviews, questions and customer comments. When you submit a product review on our website, or send questions or comments regarding our products or services to us via email or on or through our Website, we will obtain certain personal information including your name and email address. In addition, we collect photos that you share with us (including but not limited to photos posted on our Facebook wall and photos and comments set to us via email), and information that you share with us in response to customer service, requests for product reviews and/or surveys.
- Other information, including information that we use to bill your account.
Information the Company Collects Automatically. The Company also collects certain information about you and your computer automatically when you visit the Website. This type of information may include: the type of web browser, device and operating system you have used to access the Website;your internet protocol (“IP”) address (which is a number automatically assigned to your computer when you access the Internet and can be used to derive your general geographic location);your internet service provider (“ISP”), referring/exit pages, date/time stamp and clickstream data;information about the content you view and the features you access on the Website that the Company collects using cookies, Web beacons and similar technologies (as further described below);information about the search terms you use, the product pages you view and items that you place in your cart and/or purchase while on our Website; and clicks you make on our Website, newsletter and on Third Party Sites in response to content and information provided thereon.
USE OF INFORMATION
The Company uses the information it collects and receives for the following general purposes:
- To identify and register you as a user of the Website, to provide you with the Website and our services and to fulfill your orders and requests with respect to our products, to promote our products and services, to send you abandoned cart notifications and product review requests, and to personalize marketing offers, product recommendations and services we offer to you including, but not limited to, the offers and samples that we provide to you based on the information you provide to us;
- To analyze and understand the purchasing behavior and preferences of our customers, to understand and track the number of users who view certain pages and/or use certain features of our Website, and to compile the total dollar amount of sales conducted through our Website overall and in a particular geographic region or by customer group. We might also provide deidentified data to third party partners who perform data analyses for our Company;
- To analyze trends and track users’ movements around our Website and referral websites;
- To manage customer accounts;
- To identify accounts and transactions that carry a high risk of fraud or other security risk, that violate our business policies (including without limitation our product resale policy) and/or that are aimed at copying our products commercially by a competitor;
- To ensure the functionality and usability of the Website, and to install and monitor elements for information security, credit and/or fraud prevention purposes;
- To carry out business accounting, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and enhance the Website and our product offerings;
- To improve the Website by, for example, learning more about what information users find interesting or useful and analyzing and learning about the Website’s user base as a whole;
- To provide you with promotional materials, such as the Company’s newsletter, email marketing and/or other announcements, as applicable;
- To invite you to review products, complete purchases, and/or participate in customer marketing or rewards programs and surveys conducted by us and/or our affiliates;
- To develop new products, offerings and/or services;
- To improve and personalize our marketing and promotional efforts; and
- For any other purpose disclosed to you at the time the Company collects your information, or otherwise with your consent.
We collect your personal information primarily to make our Website more rewarding and easier for you to use. We usually use this information for internal purposes, such as studying our customers’ preferences. We may also use your information for account and promotional purposes. To better serve you and improve our Website, we may conduct (and we may engaged third parties to conduct) research on demographics, interests, and behavior based on personal information and other information provided via the Website or otherwise. This research may be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis and we may share de-identified aggregate information with our affiliates and agents. This aggregate information does not identify you personally.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
The Company may share your information with the following entities:
- Service Providers. The Company may share your information with entities and persons that provide services to the Company, including other companies that provide web hosting, web analytics, data analysis, advertising, marketing, accounting and tax preparation services, package delivery, mail, credit card processing, market research, risk management and other services, software and technologies. Whenever possible, the Company restricts the ability of these entities and persons to use information about you that the Company provides to them for purposes other than providing services to the Company and complying with applicable laws. Some personal information is stored on servers owned by other companies, and in databases that are managed by other companies, but made available to us through user services or contractual agreements. The Company does not sell or license your personal information.The Company processes credit card transactions through third party payment gateways which are managed by reputable third parties.
- Other Parties When Required by Law or as Necessary to Protect The Company’s Services. There may be instances when the Company discloses your information to other parties in order to: protect the legal rights of the Company, its licensors and services providers, and of the users of the Website; protect the safety and security of users of the Website, and that of the Company’s employees, affiliates, members, agents, licensors and/or service providers; prevent fraud (or for risk management purposes); ensure your compliance with our business policies; and/or comply with or respond to the law or legal process or a request for cooperation by a government entity, whether or not legally required.
- Other Parties in Connection With a Transfer of Assets. If the Company makes a sale or transfer of assets to any third party, or is otherwise involved in a capital raise, merger, acquisition, change of control or asset or business transfer, the Company may transfer your information to one or more third parties as part of or in connection with that transaction.
If you are visiting a Website from outside the United States, please note that any data you provide will be transferred outside the European Union or such other non-United States territory for use by us for any of the purposes described herein. By providing any data to us, and using the Websites, you hereby consent to such transfers of your data to the United States.
THIRD-PARTY CONTENT, FUNCTIONALITY, AND SERVICES
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
THIRD PARTY APPLICATIONS, ANALYTICS AND TRACKING
You may be able to access certain Third Party Sites or content through the Website. We have no liability or responsibility for the privacy and information security practices or other actions of any Third Party Site that you choose to access through the Website, including but not limited to any link to Instagram photos or other social media platforms.
PROTECTION OF INFORMATION
The Company uses reasonable physical, technical, and administrative measures to safeguard information in the Company’s possession against loss, theft, unauthorized use, disclosure, and/or modification. Please note, however, that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. There is always a risk that third parties may unlawfully intercept transmissions. For example, we cannot ensure the security of your data during transmission to us or the security of your data on an iPhone or android or other device or on your Twitter page or on another computer. This reality is true of all Internet or data transmission use. As a result, while the Company strives to protect the information it maintains, the Company cannot and does not ensure, represent, warrant or guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to the Company (whether through our Website or otherwise, including over email or the telephone) or any person affiliated with the Company. By disclosing your email address to us for any reason, you are expressly consenting to receive electronic (including email) notice from us in the event of any security breach.
We use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), the industry-standard encryption technology for internet transmission of credit card information you provide to us through our Website. When the letters “http” in the URL change to “https”, the “s” indicates that you are in a secure area employing SSL. Also your browser may give a pop-up message stating that you are about to enter or leave a secure area. Using a browser that is SSL capable will ensure that your information is encoded/encrypted when it is sent over the Internet.
If you register for an account on our Website, your personal information is protected by the password you provided when you created your account or updated your password while logged into your account. We urge you to keep this password and login information private and to never share it with anyone. In order to protect the security of your account, you should also sign off your account and close your browser window when you have finished your visit in order to prevent other people from accessing your account without your permission. This will ensure that others cannot access your account, especially if you are sharing a computer with someone else or are using a public computer. You may not use another person’s account (including username, password and credit card). You are responsible for maintaining the security and confidentiality of your account and password. Please also let us know in a timely manner if there is any unauthorized use of your account or password. We reserve the right to delete any user account that we believe in good faith and in our sole discretion presents a security risk or is not in compliance with our policies.
The Company does not knowingly collect or store personal information about children under the age of 13. If the Company learns that it has collected personal information from a child under age 13, the Company will delete that information from its database.
CHANGING OR DELETING YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
If you have submitted personally identifiable information (such as your name, address, email address or similar information) through the Website or otherwise and would like to change or delete that information, please contact the Company firstname.lastname@example.org
Boulder Dog Food Company, LLC
P.O. Box 4417
Boulder, Colorado 80306-4417
* * *
Cookies, Web Beacons, and Similar Technologies
The Company, and certain third parties that provide content, functionality, and/or services on, through or in connection with the Website, use a variety of technologies to learn more about how people use the Website. This section provides more information about some of those technologies and how they work.
Web beacons. The Company, along with its third-party partners, may also use technologies called web beacons that communicate information from your Internet browser to a web server. Web beacons can be embedded in web pages, videos, or emails, and can allow a web server to read certain types of information from your browser, check whether you have viewed a particular web page or email message, and determine, among other things, the time and date on which you viewed the web beacon, the IP address of your computer, and the URL of the web page from which the web beacon was viewed. The Company and its partners may use web beacons for a variety of purposes, including to analyze the use of the Website and in conjunction with cookies to improve the Website and to provide you with more relevant promotion materials.